Bamboo for Pots & Planters
Bamboo is a diverse group of grasses with over 1200 species. It is not commonly known that some species of bamboo work well in pots and planters, but it is something we have been doing at Green Thumb Palms for quite a while with beautiful results we would love to share.
- We have most of the popular, comercial bamboos as well as some quite rare and exclusive collected varieties of Plieoblastus and Sasa (dwarf) temperate running bamboo. These species thrive in pots, growing with much ease, success and satisfaction.
- Arrow Bamboo is pictured above, and works well in a large pot. This is a great looking cold tolerant runner adaptable to many conditions
- Temperate (running) varieties require far less light than any tropical clumping bamboo and as a group make more interesting houseplants.
- Indoor temperate bamboo offers a much more impressive variety of leaf color, variegation and forms
- Small and dwarf varieties selected specifically for pot culture. Sizes range from just a few inches (plieoblastus distichus) to 4'-6' (indocalamus tessellatus)
- Green Thumb Palms grows approximately 30 temperate (running) bamboo varieties and a handful of clumping tropical bamboo that are well suited to be grown in pots
- While we cannot yet offer all these varieties commercially, Green Thumb Palms will offer these bamboos as limited quantities become available. Our intentions are to introduce several fresh species every month until they are all commercially available.
- Please check back frequently or join our mailing list to be kept up on all the latest introductions