Buying Bamboo From a Nursery vs. Buying Mail Order
I am a huge fan of the local nursery and I urge you to support them whenever possible. There are certain pros and cons when buying mail order vs. at a retail nursery. Here are a few things to consider:
Warning: Unfortunately most nurseries don't know much about bamboo. It is very easy to get bad information and mislabeled species. Only buy bamboo from a nursery that really takes it seriously. You will see many nurseries with a few shabby pieces of bamboo that have been there forever because they are not watered properly. A nursery should have its bamboo on drip irrigation as sprinklers do not wet enough. The bamboo should look lush, green and healthy at the nursery.
Here are the nurseries that sell my Bamboo and do it right:
- Riverland Nursery - Ft. Myers -239-693-5555
- Orlando's Finest Palms- Kissimmee 1-407-552-4801
Nursery vs. Mail Order Delivery Pros & Cons
- You will get a larger (untrimmed) plant at one of our retail locations, then shipped. This is true on most occasions, the largest box we can squeeze and bend a bamboo into is 45". Our retail locations sell our 3 gallon Silverstripes @ 7' tall!
- You will pay more at a retail location. Nothing is for free, and high quality service is becoming more and more valuable these days. I have no problem paying a little more at my local nursery as I get to touch and feel and ask before I buy. Don't forget the money you saved by not having to pay for shipping.
- You will get the same expert advice weather you buy from our Retail locations or on line. The retail locations have all the information to help you make an informed decision and may provide valuable local insight on soil and climate. I am personally available to answer any questions.
The choice is up to you, When you plant bamboo we all win!